ULTRASOUND OF THE PELVIS
Many diseases of the female genitalia tract can be
diagnosed by ultrasound.
- ABNORMALITIES OF THE UTERUS
- Congenital abnormalities-like absent uterus, hypoplastic uterus, bicornuate uterus,
- Acquired abnormalities - like fibroids, adenomyosis, endometrial polyp, malignancy.
- ABNORMALITIES OF THE OVARIES
Congenital abnormalities- like absent or streak like ovaries, dermoid cysts of ovaries
a. Acquired abnormalities- like simple cysts, haemorrhagic cysts, endometric ovarian
disease, malignant tumors of the ovaries.
- ABNORMALITIES OF THE TUBES
Hydrosalpinx or pyosalpinx can be setected.
Patency of the tubes can be checked with sono-salpingography
Ectopic pregnancy can be detected.
- PREGNANCY OR INFERTILITY
In obstetrics, ultrasound is used to examine the growing fetus inside the mother's uterus.
Being able to evaluate the pregnancy in this way is especially important if the doctor
suspects that the fetus is growing improperly or may have an abnormality. The doctor can
then advise a course of action in an attempt to reduce the risks to you and your baby.
In a way, ultrasound serves as a type of physical exam of a fetus. It can provide
valuable information about the fetus's health and well-being, for example