D&C is the commonest term and procedure in
Gynecology. It actually describes the procedure - DILATATION of the opening of
cervix and CURRETAGE - scraping the inner walls of the uterus to remove the
inner lining or endometrium.
D&C is usually performed to diagnose
- Abnormal bleeding or possible cancer inside the uterus.
- Cause of infertility
When D&C is done in a pregnant woman it is termed MTP.
D&C is usually performed in a Nursing home or
hospital on a day care basis and under General Anaethesia.
DESCRIPTION OF OPERATION
- The vagina is cleant with an antiseptic solution.
- The opening of the cervix is gradually widened with a
dilator, and a curette is inserted into the uterus.
- The curette is used to scrape away the uterine lining.
This is sent for laboratory analysis.
- Surgical-wound infection.
- Excessive bleeding.
- Inadvertent injury to the uterus.
Pain relievers, Antibiotics to prevent infection, some
tablets to lessen blood flow
Resume sexual relations when spotting ceases.
BE ALERT FOR
- Increasing or foul smelling vaginal discharge.
- Unusual vaginal swelling or bleeding develops.
- Signs of infection: headache, muscle aches, dizziness or a
general ill feeling and fever.