COST OF SURGERY
You should hold a full and frank discussion about the
costs of surgery before you enter the hospital. Many cordial patient-doctor relationships
are severely damaged by misunderstandings concerning fees and allied expenses. Surgeons or
family physicians are willing to describe the financial obligations associated with the
In a large majority of instances, surgeon's fees make up a minor part of the total
expenses incurred, majority being the high cost of hospital and nursing services including
the disposables. Avoid the embarrassing situation of realizing that you have insufficient funds to pay the surgeon.
You must arrange to pay for the following:
- Hospital Services: This will cover:
- Room and board
- Floor (not special) nursing care.
- Drugs and medications.
- Treatments such as injections, intravenous solutions, etc.
- The use of the operation theater and its equipment.
- Laboratory & Imaging investigations.
- Surgeon's & Physician's fee (In private nursing homes this is to be paid separately
to concerned doctors)
- Special nursing care: Private nurses usually work on eight-hour shifts
so that three are necessary for round-the-clock coverage. Their services must be paid
separately. Rates in Mumbai - Rs 350- Rs 400 per shift.
- Blood transfusions: Blood is given in a
great many operative procedures. In major hospitals, blood is to be replaced and a fee for
the transfusion, is charged for separately.
It is important to remember that surgeons - given an accurate idea of financial
difficulties do adjust their fees to meet individual situations. And most important of
all, they also arrange for free surgical care in the wards of voluntary, municipal, or
Government hospitals for those who are unable to pay the prevailing rates in private practice.
Affording patients, sadly, give false information and seek free or subsidized care.