WHAT ARE THE OBSERVED
BENEFITS OF ESTROGEN ON THE LOWER GENITAL TRACT?
Estrogen therapy is very effective in relieving vaginal
dryness, provided that the estrogen dose is adequate. Progestogens alone are not effective
alternative for the treatment of lower genital tract atrophy.
THERAPY IMPROVE LIBIDO AND SEXUAL FUNCTIONING?
Estrogen therapy appears to increase desire and
satisfaction primarily through its pronounced effect on vaginal lubrication. It remains
difficult to distinguish the relative contribution of aging and estrogen deprivation to
decreased libido and sexual functioning.
In the absence of local vaginal problems, it must be noted that estrogen replacement is of
little benefit in the treatment of decreased or absent libido, and should NEVER be taken
for the same.
WHAT ARE THE
ADVANTAGES OF HRT?
- Hot flushes occur less often and are less severe. They may stop altogether.
- Vaginal dryness and pain during sex also reduces
- Helps reduce bone loss & thus prevent osteoporosis
- Protect against heart disease
WHAT ARE THE
RISKS & SIDE EFFECTS OF HRT?
- Cancer of endometrium of the uterus (women with uterus removed don't have to worry about
this). In others, taking progesterone with estrogen reduces this risk
- Some studies show a woman's chances of developing breast cancer
is slightly higher than normal in those taking HRT for more than 15 years. Women on HRT
should have monthly self-breast examination
& annual mammograms.
- About 10% of women have bothersome side effects including breast tenderness, swelling,
mood changes and pain in lower abdomen. With progesterone, one will have vaginal bleeding
once every month
- Nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, bloating and rarely jaundice