Sudden hair loss in circular patches on the
scalp, without any other visible evidence of scalp disease and is not
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
- Sudden hair loss in sharply defined circular
- There is no pain or itching.
Unknown causes but heredity and emotional
factors, such as anxiety, may contribute to hair loss. Women under stress and
with family history of alopecia areata.
- Consider wearing a wig during acute phase.
- Continue to bathe and shampoo as usual.
- While combing don't tug forcefully as the
roots are weak.
- Your doctor may prescribe topical steroids
creams. Apply topical steroid once or twice a day unless directed otherwise.
Apply immediately after bathing or shampooing for better spreading and
penetration. For scalp and groin, use only low-potency steroid products
without fluorine. In special cases, your doctor may inject steroids into
affected areas and prescribe oral cortisone drugs for you to take on
- A topical medication, minoxidil, may help.